Farncombe Estate achieved a rapid, trouble-free migration to the cloud.
Farncombe Estate has been privately owned by the same family for over 40 years. The estate has recently been transformed by a multi-million-pound investment and now represents something unique in UK hospitality – a wholly integrated countryside estate led by three multi-award winning boutique hotels: Dormy House Hotel & Spa, Foxhill Manor, and The Fish Hotel.
Farncombe Estate use Microsoft SQL Server to run their critical line of business hotel management booking system. This on-premises Server was running old versions of SQL and was beginning to experience performance problems as the database grew and demand on the front-end application increased.
Farncombe required help from a third party to provide professional services consultancy to help them to modernise and migrate the SQL Server into the Microsoft Azure cloud.
The Northdoor solution
- Northdoor provided design and migration consultancy services to safely migrate the SQL Server onto the Microsoft Azure cloud platform.
- Northdoor audited the existing Server and ran performance monitoring to understand the compute resource requirements so as to generate an appropriate design for the upgraded Server.
- Northdoor advised on SQL Server licensing options.
- Northdoor upgraded and migrated the Server onto the Microsoft Azure cloud.
- Once migrated, Northdoor monitored the Azure Server and reconfigured the Server specifications to ensure optimum performance for the lowest cost.
Assisted by Northdoor, Farncombe Estate achieved a rapid, trouble-free migration to the cloud. With over 30 years’ worth of experience, Northdoor ensured that the new Server environment would satisfy existing and future demand on the database and front-end application to ensure optimum performance, whilst reducing management overhead and cost. In addition, the environment design significantly minimises downtime, in the event of needing to invoke a disaster recovery plan.
The benefits Farncombe Estate achieved from cloud migration:
- Overall cost savings.
- Runs the latest version of SQL Server.
- Cloud-based, which allows for the Server compute resource to be ramped up and down dependent on demand.
- Reduced Server management overhead.
- Improved disaster recovery capability.
- Improved business continuity capability.
‘Northdoor provided design and migration consultancy services to migrate our key LOB on-premises SQL Server into Microsoft Azure. This Server runs our booking system and Northdoor were the safe pair of hands we required to work with the application vendor to ensure a smooth migration, with no service interruption’.
Head of IT, Farncombe Estate.