Cost of a Data Breach Report 2020
Key findings and best practices
Benchmark research sponsored by IBM Security Independently conducted by Ponemon Institue LLC
As the volume of cyberattacks increases, so does the cost of the average data breach on a global level. The 2020 Cost of a Data Breach Report offers cybersecurity, IT and risk management leaders a detailed view of the root causes and financial and brand impacts of data breaches, based on analysis of hundreds of real security incidents.
To discover the true cost of a data breach, the Ponemon Institute interviewed nearly 500 companies in 15 markets that experienced a breach, uncovered hidden costs associated with data breaches, and examined the nuance that influenced the cost by both market and industry.
- Understand what proactive and responsive measures organizations can take to help mitigate the potential damages of a data breach, from security automation to incident response planning.
- Discover new analyses of the impacts of remote working during the COVID-19 crisis, types of records lost, threat vectors of malicious breaches and motivations of threat actors.
- See what factors amplify the cost of a breach, including security system complexity, skills shortage and cloud migration.
- Compare industries, regions and widening gaps between organizations who have a strong security posture versus those who do not.
- Gain insight into how organizations are utilizing their CISO—and how appointing one might impact your costs